Monday, December 31, 2007

Two scarves.




Two projects I'm working on at the moment. Ihis one is some handspun Suri alpaca I've spun and am in the process of weaving on a four shaft loom for the breeder of this animal. the colour is actually a light tan colour and it
really gleams as I work with it. there's a little bit of texture there, the alpaca had light coloured tips which have produced a slightly nubbly texture.





I dyed this wool yarn to produce long stripes of pattern by making a very long skein on my warping board and dip dyeing approximately two feet of yarn at a time.
I planned to weave a scarf using the same yarn for warp and weft.
Below are the results on the loom, which is a rigid heddle loom. I'm using a pick up stick to produce a repeatable pattern and provide a bit of texture.
The pattern produces a lace effect and keeps the weft open in places for a light fabric. always looks too open on the loom but i know washing the finished fabric should produce the handle I'm looking for.


No comments: